Insurance Changes for Post Brexit Britain

While the UK has had a news agenda filled with coronavirus, Brexit took second place during 2020. On 31st December, however, the UK left the EU. The departure means changes to 2 key elements of insurance in particular which county clients will want to be aware of:

Travel insurance

When it comes to travelling to the EU, member states will continue to recognise valid and in-date European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) until they expire.

EHICs are not accept in Channel Islands, Isle of Man, Monaco, San Marino and Vatican City or district.

For those cardholder that have expired EHICs or even those who never owned one, the UK government plans to introduce Global Health Insurance Cards (GHIC). These will operate on a similar basis to EHIC but won’t extend coverage to some countries, including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. In the meantime, travellers can apply for provisional replacement certificates (PRCs)

While EHICs, PRCs and GHICs are a good base level of cover, they are not a replacement for travel insurance. EHICs and GHICs don’t cover lost or stolen baggage, delayed flights or many of the other covers comprehensive travel insurance policies offer. Importantly, the cards won’t cover repatriation or the total cost of healthcare while abroad.

Green Cards

The ‘booze cruise’ of old may make a comeback and many UK citizens with properties abroad will want to drive to their holiday homes. All UK drivers and motorcyclists will now need an insurance Green Card for each and every vehicle they drive to Europe including separate cards for caravans or trailers. The card doesn’t have to be green, like in previous years, but it does have to have the basic EU compulsory minimum insurance and be in multiple languages.

Spanish Bail Bonds are still required but your motor insurer may offer this as a part of their coverage on your policy. Do check your policy wording or regular insurance contact.

UK citizens will not need an International Driver’s Permit to drive in the EU; anyone passing their test or currently holding full, valid driving licence will be allowed to drive in other EU countries.

To find out more information visit:

Everything above is as of our current understanding dated 06/01/21. Any updated will be posted to our Twitter page or to another news story.